History of GCRC
Up to 1956, the majority of the Christian Reformed people in the Georgetown area attended Immanuel CRC in Brampton. Since Immanuel CRC was growing rapidly in numbers, a group from Georgetown/Glen Williams area met with Immanuel’s consistory to discuss establishing a new congregation in Georgetown. A building on 55 Main Street S. in Georgetown, which had formerly been a railroad station, a dairy building, and a bargain barn, was acquired by the Immanuel CRC and was converted into a meeting place. In January 1957, GCRC had its first Sunday service on its own as a congregation. While renovations were being done to the building, the first services were held in Stewarttown. When the renovations to the building were completed a dedication service was held in the new building in July 1957.
Since the congregation continued to grow, planning began in 1961 to find a more suitable location. The present site of GCRC was bought from the Halton Hills Christian School and the church was built in 1966-67. The first addition to the church was completed in 1987 and another major addition was completed in 2006.
Reverend John VanHarmelen (1957-58) served as the first pastor of GCRC while also continuing as pastor of Immanuel CRC.
The first full-time pastor of GCRC was
Reverend Dick Los (1959-62),
Rev James Joosse (1963-67)
Rev Al VandenPol (1967-73)
Rev William Postman (1973-77)
Rev John De Jong (1978-88)
Rev William Suk (1980-81)
Rev Bert Slofstra (1984-90)
Rev Paul Stadt (1989-97)
Rev Mark Verbruggen (1995-2005)
Rev Ted Bootsma (2004-2009)
Rev Gary van Leeuwen (2006-2013)
Rev Tom van Milligen (2013-2020)