"For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works,
which God prepared in advance for us to do."
- Ephesians 2:10
What we Believe:
Georgetown Christian Reformed Chirch is a family-centered church. The Word of God is the focus of worship services, and songs and hymns are based on the Scriptures. The church strives to uphold Christian beliefs in an age where they are often being attacked with impunity.
A core belief of the CRC and GCRC is that salvation cannot be earned by good works but only through the saving grace of Jesus Christ, and Scripture is the guide by which we evaluate our role as Christians. We believe in the importance of the family and we encourage worship as families as well as support for Christian education. We believe that all of life is governed by our faith and that all Christians are God's servants.
For more see: http://www.crcna.org/pages/mission_vision.cfm
Members believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God and a faithful guide to understand the whys and hows of life. We also profess that six documents give the most correct and true interpretation of the Bible. Three are ancient creeds:
The Apostles' Creed - a summary of the teachings of the Bible.
The Nicene Creed - emphasizes the biblical message that Jesus is truly and fully God.
The Athanasian Creed - affirms the biblical teaching that the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God but in such a way that there is only one God.
The other documents are confessions professed by many Reformed and Presbyterian denominations around the world and originated in the crucible of the 16th century. They are:
The Heidelberg Catechism which shows our rescue from sin is a free, unearned gift from God through Jesus Christ.
The Belgic Confession (the author died for confessing his expressed faith), a defense against accusations that Reformed churches promoted false teachings.
The Canons of Dort - shows that God's Spirit, alone, can work in us the miracle of saving faith that gives us new life in Christ.
How we Worship:
GCRC regularly meets on Sundays at 10 a.m. to open and close the Lord’s day together. We join together to worship the living God in thankfulness and to be together as the body of Christ. We often look for more opportunities to praise God together, meeting to celebrate our Lord on most special occasions, including Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, New Years, and even Remembrance Day.
Our services are structured thematically around the Word. Our sermons are biblical and exegetical, striving to teach what God is saying and avoiding pop psychology. The Sunday morning service includes a children’s story after which children aged 3 to Grade 4 leave for Sunday School, through which the children receive the Word at their level. The church has an excellent library, as well, where you can find study materials to continue in the Word during the week.
GCRC is pursuing blended worship, which we understand to be mixing the best elements of different worship styles and seeking to get as many congregants involved sharing their gifts. Our music is a mix of psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. Some weeks we are accompanied by organ and/or piano with occasional instrumentals. Other weeks we are led in worship by our Worship Team. There are several youth who participate in worship, sharing their musical gifts. Prayer is also a very important element of our worship. Every Sunday morning after the worship service there are people who will pray with those seeking prayer. Our evening service especially focuses on congregational prayer with a time of sharing and praying for one another.
We believe that our worship service should be accessible and inclusive. The church building is air-conditioned, accessible to the physically handicapped, has an elevator and wireless hearing aids are available. Our Lord’s Supper table includes gluten-free options. We have special “Friendship” services to help the developmentally delayed meet their Savior at their own level. There is a well-equipped and supervised nursery for toddlers and babies. A denominationally approved Safe Church Policy requires all members working with people at GCRC to have updated police checks. Hall monitors do interior and exterior security patrols during services.
As part of the Christian Reformed Church in North America, Georgetown Christian Reformed Church is a caring and supportive congregation of more than 600 members that includes a good mix of young children, teens, young couples, singles, middle-aged and seniors. Regular Sunday service is at 10 a.m. We’ve been in Georgetown since 1957 and are located at 11611 Trafalgar Road.
You are welcome to worship with us and experience the warmth of a Christ-centered community.
Our purpose is to bring the gospel of Jesus Christ into the lives of people by preaching and teaching the Bible without compromise in such a way that they will, by the power of the Holy Spirit, accept Jesus as Saviour and Lord of their lives.
We are a church that has its roots in the Reformation. The teachings of 16th century reformer John Calvin, who struggled valiantly to return Christianity to its Biblical roots, have been a strong influence in the formation of our doctrinal beliefs. Today the church is considered to be neither fundamentalist nor mainstream liberal.
Nearly a thousand churches are part of the CRC network in North America. The denomination was formed by Dutch settlers in Michigan in 1857. Since then it has grown to be a multi-ethnic denomination which, in Canada, includes more than 78,000 members from B.C. to Nova Scotia.
GCRC is currently served by pastor, Rev. Tom van Milligen.
GCRC runs an extensive range of Christian education ministries: Sunday School, Cadets boys club and Gems girls club (grades 3-8), WEDS youth group (grades 7-12), and has special Friendship services for groups of mentally and physically challenged adults in their 20s to 70s.
A very successful week long Vacation Bible School program for children is held during the summer. Many church members are also engaged in volunteer work with organizations such as the Georgetown Hospital, the Red Cross, the local Wastewise reuse centre, cancer support agencies, the Halton Hills Christian School and Habitat for Humanity. The church supports several missionaries and at least every two years sends work teams to help in poverty-stricken or disaster-stricken areas of the U.S., Caribbean or Central America.
Management of the church is under an elected 21-member council of elders and deacons. One third of council changes each year.
After the Sunday morning service fair trade coffee, that's bought at a premium price to help developing world farmers make a better living, is served in the Fellowship Hall to all who wish to partake and enjoy a few minutes of social company. Juice is also available for children as they leave Sunday School. The morning service usually lasts about an hour. Sunday School begins about 15 minutes into the service.
Dutch Calvinist immigrants who moved to the United States formed the Christian Reformed Church (CRC) in North America in 1857 in Holland, Michigan. In Canada the earliest Christian Reformed congregations were established on the prairies in Alberta by Dutch and Dutch American immigrants. The denomination marked its 100th anniversary in Canada in 2005 with a SeatoSea bike ride that saw 94 churchgoer cyclists aged 18 to 74 pedal an astounding 7,125 km from Vancouver to Halifax in 71 days. On the way, at Picture Butte, Alberta, they stopped briefly for a spontaneous service at a tiny white building - now part of a museum -that was the first CRC church in Canada.
Today more than 78,000 people are members of CRC churches in Canada. The first CRC churches in Ontario were founded in Toronto, Windsor and Chatham in 1925. The CRC now has churches across the country, from B.C. to Nova Scotia.
The CRC in North America has accepted women as ministers since 1995. Women as well as men serve as elders and deacons at Georgetown CRC which is one of 24 congregations in "Classis Toronto" - territory between Barrie, Toronto, Scarborough and Georgetown. The CRC is an active partner in the Canadian Council of Churches and the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada. While the CRC in North America is headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan, along with Calvin College and Calvin Theological Seminary, a fully-staffed Canadian office is in Burlington, Ontario.
Gift income to the denomination for church work, allows the CRC to continue an extensive range of programs and activities not only in North America but across much of the world. Some funded services include the Back to God Ministries, a radio and TV ministry; Christian Reformed Home Missions that helps to start new churches; Abuse Prevention and safe church initiatives; Chaplaincy, including service in the military, hospitals, prisons, and university campuses ; ministry to people with disabilities; actions on social justice and hunger; work on eliminating racism; Christian Reformed World Missions that works in about 30 countries; World Renew, the relief and development agency of the CRC. Via radio, TV and the Internet the Back to God Hour reaches people in more than 160 countries in nine major languages. The radio program was launched more than 60 years ago. Meanwhile, World Renew was active in 37 countries in 2005; for example building more than 1,500 homes in tsunami-ravaged Indonesia, India and Sri Lanka. Georgetown CRC alone raised $33,680 in a January 9, 2005 collection from its congregation for tsunami disaster aid. In Canada the CRC has well-established centers for aboriginal people in Edmonton, Regina and Winnipeg.
Up to 1956, the majority of the Christian Reformed people in the Georgetown area attended the Immanuel Christian Reformed Church in Brampton, Ontario. Since the church building became overcrowded and people were still coming at a good rate, one of the largest groups from the Georgetown - Glen Williams area met together with the Brampton consistory on August 12, 1956. During this meeting, which was held in the basement of John Meyer's home in Glen Williams, plans were made to have this "group" establish a new congregation in Georgetown.
Around that time, there was a building for sale at 55 Main Street South in Georgetown. It was a former bargain barn, a dairy building and before that, an old railroad station. It was large enough to be made into a meeting place and it was acquired by the Brampton consistory for this "group". This building is where Canada Trust used to be located in downtown Georgetown.
On January 27, 1957, the Georgetown CRC had their first Sunday service on their own as a congregation. While renovations and cleaning were being done to the building at 55 Main Street South, the first services involving 46 families were held in the Esquesing Community Hall in Stewarttown, Ontario. When the building was ready, a dedication service was held on Wednesday, July 17, 1957.
The next step was to find a minister who would serve the Georgetown CRC. Reverend John VanHarmelen (1957-58) who was more correctly "counselor" of the Georgetown church first served while also being the minister of Immanuel CRC in Brampton. The first full-time pastor at Georgetown was Reverend Dick Los (1959-62) who came from Ferweld in the Netherlands. He was installed as the first minister on March 19, 1959. On April 12, 1959, he read the entire Lord's Day 1 from the pulpit in the English language. There was a gradual movement to more English services, alternating with Dutch. When English was used in both services, there were Dutch services held in the school. Reverend Los was followed by Reverend James Joosse (1963-67), Reverend Al VandenPol (1967-73), Reverend William Postman (1973-77), Pastor John De Jong (1978-88), Reverend William Suk (1980-81), Reverend Bert Slofstra (1984-90) and Reverend Paul Stadt (1989-97). Reverend Mark Verbruggen (1995-2005), Reverend Ted Bootsma (2004-2009), Reverend Gary van Leeuwen (2006-2013), interim Pastor Tom van Milligen (2013-2015) who is now our lead pastor.
Since the congregation was growing, planning began in 1961 to find a more suitable place to buy some property where a good church building could be built. A serious attempt was made to acquire some property in the planned Moore Park subdivision in March 1966, but the planning there was not yet ready for approval and it could take another three years before construction would begin.
The present site of the Georgetown CRC and the Halton Hills Christian School was bought and the church was built in 1966-67. The dedication service was held on February 10, 1967. Since the old Main Street South building had been sold prior to the building of the new one, services were held in the Georgetown High School. Nine years were spent worshiping in the Main Street South building.
The first joyful sounds during the worship services were produced by the organists, Mrs. I. VandenBerg and Mr. John DeBoer, on a Halman electronic organ in the Main Street South church in 1957. The Organ Committee, consisting of Messrs. Wm. Braam, J. DeBoer, G. DeKleer and Wm. Hegi, were fortunate to find a good used organ located in the Knox Presbyterian Church in Guelph, Ontario. The Keates Organ Co. in Acton, Ontario, did the installation and some alterations for a total of $11,800.00. The Woodstock Organ has over 1,200 speaking pipes. It is an instrument not only excellent for leading the congregational singing, but also for recitals.
Today the GCRC worships in a church that completed an extensive expansion in 2004.
Every year, a Remembrance Day service is held in our sanctuary under the direction of Tom Schenk, the Georgetown Choral Society and the Georgetown Children’s Chorus, where music and stories are shared.